Nimble movement and stunning speed. Crossbows that offer adrenaline-pumping high-velocity shots are extremely enjoyable to hunt with. Apart from the super quick shot, the swift mechanics (i.e. cocking) of the bow also need to be considered when deciding which crossbow is the fastest overall.
During hunting or survival games, high-speed movement is part of the adventure. The preferred choice of fastest crossbow depends on a variety of factors. 400 fps is the minimum a seasoned pro should aim for. Rapid cocking and loading are the minimum requirements. We researched the best crossbows for high-speed shots. We considered the speed of reloading along with the fastest arrows available. The need for speed has us excited!
Fastest Crossbow (500 fps crossbow)
So the BIG question is what are the fastest crossbows on the market in 2021?
You may be dreaming of taking your next crossbow shot at breakneck speed, so we also researched the world’s best crossbow makers of 2021 for the quickest crossbows. The compiled list is below. check it out.
1. TenPoint Vapor RS470 (470 fps)
Well known for building brilliant crossbows, TenPoint has now produced the fastest crossbow, closest to the 500 fps barrier, on the market. There isn’t a more rapid crossbow out there. It is powered by a reverse-draw design that utilizes the full 17” of the power stroke. The Vapor RS470 generates mind-bending speeds of up to 470 FPS. It comes equipped with a new revolutionary ACUslide that created a silent cocking and safe de-cocking system. This is optional.
- Reduces string-to-rail contact by an incredible 50% – leading to increased accuracy and the longest string life for hunting crossbows
- 225 Pound Draw Weight for Powerful Action up to 470 FPS
- Dimensions: 6. 5″ Width; 31″ Length; 8 lbs for lightweight carry
A true masterpiece from TenPoint crossbows this crossbow is the result of generations of hard work and unrivaled technology. Compact, great balance, great trigger, blazing speed, and a great crank system make it all the more desirable.
2. Ravin R29X Sniper Crossbow (450 fps)
Ravin proved that it has reached another level of crossbow technology by introducing the R29X Sniper. Sniper by Ravin is a powerhouse of energy and you can pull down any prey in no time with this incredibly fast weapon that is able to shoot at an average speed of 450 FPS, at maximum velocity Sniper is able to exert a whopping force and generates 180 foot-pounds of kinetic energy.
Ravin knows how to engineer a high-end crossbow that can be ranked in the range of 500 fps crossbow without compromising over other requisite features, you can find balance, precision, and versatility with speed and durability.
Key Features and Specs:
- Axle-to-axle length: 6 inches
- Physical Weight: 6.75 pounds
- HeliCoil Technology
- Silent Cocking System
- The anti-dry fire safety mechanism
- Adjustable Tactical Crossbow scope
- The crossbow is fast and accurate
- It comes fully assembled
- The model features HeliCoil technology for enhanced performance
- Sniper includes Trac-Trigger firing system
- It also includes slogan sling, Quiver, and tactical scope
- This crossbow is extremely lightweight and comes with an effective noise cancellation system
- Comparatively expensive
3. Scorpyd Aculeus (460 fps)
This bow is the high-quality fastest crossbow around with a speed of 460 feet per second. Its unique innovative design helps hunters to achieve their target without any hassle. Its Kempf Tech Integrated Trigger Housing is the main reason for popularity among professional hunters. It comes with a scope rail, string stops, and sling studs.
Key features & Specs:
- non-folding buttstock
- Length: 34 ½
- Draw weight: 180 pounds
- 500 fps crossbow range
- Acura feature
- The control is amazing as it won’t fire without the arrow
- Design is unique and innovative
- Lightweight MossyOak Camo Stock Increases Portability
- Too much sound for every shot
- It is hard to control with ultra-speed
450 FPS Crossbow Range 2021
1. TenPoint Vengent S440 (440 fps)
An all-rounder crossbow that delivers excellent performance, constructed with premium-quality material to be lightweight and durable has been launched by TenPoint. TenPoint Vengent S440 would surprise you with its incredible shooting speed and latest technological features such as RX7 cams that work with a spiral cable groove to create a reverse draw system.
The sleek design would eventually enhance its functional capacity making it highly maneuverable and portable. Moreover, the model comes with AcuDraw cocking device that is integrated to cut down the total draw weight to half as this technology would make bow cocking much easier and more smooth.
Key Features and Specs:
- Gordon composite limbs to ensure durability and strength
- Axle-to-axle length: 7 inches
- Physical Weight: 7.8 pounds
- Kinetic Energy: 166 foot-pounds
- Strikes with an IBO speed of 440 FPS
- Slingshot technology
- AcuDraw cocking device
- Nitro X comes with six EVO-X arrows
- The model features a string stop system to cancel out noise and vibration
- It shoots with the breakneck speed of 440 fps due to Sling Shot technology
- The sleek and narrow design provides an edge to be more portable and functional
- It comes with built-in RangeMaster Pro scope and numerous extras that make it ready-to-use.
- It is considered one of the costly crossbows available in the market.
2. Ravin R20 Crossbow Package (430 fps)
The advanced technology of Ravin R20 is the main reason that it is loved by many hunters. There is no doubt that hunters are inspired by it – its features give them the best experience of hunting for a lifetime. When cocked, it is 6 inches and it is 10.5 when un-cocked. Hence, the design of the crossbow is compact and you won’t encounter any problems anymore.
Key features & Specs:
- Length: 34.5
- Physical weight: 7.1 lbs
- Kinetic energy: 164
- 450 fps crossbow
- Draw force: 12 lbs
- The package contains more than you need for hunting
- Best choice for the people who prefer higher velocity
- Equipment is easy to carry around and hunt down your target from close quarters
- Not a great choice for novices
3. Excalibur Bulldog (440 fps crossbow)
Certainly, Excalibur Bulldog is the most powerful shooting weapon manufactured by Excalibur as its durable and competent design will ensure exceptional performance and smooth operation. When it comes to strength nothing comes in the way of Matrix Bulldog as it allows you to execute the shot with a maximum speed of 440 fps. Experts prefer this model because of its straightforward design, with Matrix Bulldog there is no hassle of constructing the bow before trying it out.
It features twin PowerLoad limbs that work in collaboration with a string and cable system for enhanced accuracy plus incorporation of fiberglass and composite material will keep the weight controlled and light.
Key Features and Specs:
- Physical Weight: 6.2 pounds
- IBO Speed: 440 FPS
- Tact-Zone scope
- PowerLoad limbs
- E.D.S. Suppressors
- Guardian Anti-Dry-Fire System
- Rope-Cocking Aid
- REDS suppressors are included in the crossbow to cancel out noise and vibrations caused by a release string.
- It features a Quad-Loc riser to reinforce the structure.
- Twilight DLX illuminated scope allows you to shoot in low light conditions
- Matrix Bulldog is the fastest crossbow that allows you to shoot at 440 fps
- The powerful and durable built of this bow makes it long-lasting.
- It comes with a hefty draw weight that makes cocking a bit strenuous.
4. Barnett Predator Crossbow (430 fps)
For hunters who want the biggest hits possible, the Predator harnesses 430 feet per second backed by 156 foot-pounds of kinetic energy.
Key features & Specs:
- TriggerTech Frictionless Release Technology
- Single Bolt Assembly
- Carbonlite Riser
- Compatible Device Crank Cocking
- Trigger System (ADF)
- Excellent trigger system
- Illuminated scope with the quick adapting quality
- 450 fps crossbow range
- It is fast and accurate
- Assembling is quite a daunting task
400 FPS Crossbow Range 2021
1. Barnett Whitetail Pro STR (400 fps)
The name shows that the crossbow is specifically to hunt down the whitetail deer. From kinetic energy to the weight of the crossbow, everything is just perfectly designed for the best adventure. A rope cocking device is included in the package and the accuracy of this 400 fps crossbow is quite impressive for professionals and expert hunters.
Key features & Specs:
- Draw weight: 187 lbs.
- Kinetic energy: 140 lbs.
- Overall weight: 6.9 lbs.
- Axle to Axle: 17.625
- Dimensions: 36.5″ L x 20″W
- Illuminated scope
- String dampeners
- Speed of 400fps ensures the accuracy of this crossbow
- Assembling is quick and easy, in fact, it is almost done – you have to do a little to assemble it
- It has an amazing design.
- String Dampeners for stealth-like shooting.
- It has a compact recurve unique design.
- It is deadly accurate up to 70 yards.
- Good value for money
- The difficulty of cocking the bow has been reported by the various users
- Illumination on the scope is a little dark
2. TenPoint Stealth NXT (400 fps crossbow)
This can be your fastest crossbow pick of the year for making your hunting season a memorable experience. It is rapid and you know that speed the core quality of any crossbow. It is equipped with a scope made from aluminum which is also lessening the weight of a crossbow.
Key features & Specs:
- Shooting up to 410 feet per second
- Range master pro scope: 8.25-Inch aluminum
- Cocking mechanism: acudraw integrated self-retracting rope cocking device
- Acudraw technology reduces the weight of crossbow to 50%
- The package includes 3 arrows with practice points
- Lightweight scope
- The quality of the string could be improved
3. TenPoint Wicked Ridge Rampage Crossbow (400 fps)
This is a production from TenPoint. Perennial producers of some of the most expensive crossbows, built this one to not only deliver rapid speed but a great amount of power. Pricier than our first on the list, it has a great quality feel, and the Wicked Ridge Rampage 400 fps crossbow features a very well-balanced reverse-draw bow.
Key features & Specs:
- It’s a power stroke of 15.5
- Its speed is 360 FPS that makes it fast & in the range of 400 fps crossbow
- Kinetic Energy is 140 ft
- Noise dampening integrated string stop system
- It is a rope cocking device.
- Works fast and smoothly
- Warranty Card
- It works quietly and accurately.
- Arrows are of less quality.
- Experienced users only
4. TenPoint Titan M1 Crossbow Package (400 fps crossbow)
If you plan to upgrade your crossbow and require all essential features in a single bow then TenPoint Titan M1 is the perfect option for you to achieve accurate high-speed shots. This crossbow is extremely portable due to its compact structure and lightweight exterior as the size of the crossbow is a very important feature as it determines the functionality and maneuverability of the weapon.
The bow is able to shoot with sheer accuracy up to 40 yards plus it also includes a short 19.5-inch carbon barrel that allows your bolt to travel effortlessly. The aimed target of TenPoint Titan M1 has no time to run as it strikes with a frenetic speed of 370 FPS with a draw weight of 185 pounds, the whopping force can take down any prey within seconds.
Key Features and Specs:
- Axle-to-axle length: 17.6 inches
- Total length: 32.5 inches
- Arrow Length: 19.5
- Velocity: 370 feet per second (400 fps crossbow)
- Draw weight: 185 pounds
- HE cam system
- Integrated AcuDraw 50 technology
- 5-pound Trigger
- The design of the TenPoint Titan M1 is very thoughtful and its mossy oak camouflage pattern will disguise the weapon in the woods.
- It comes with Acu Draw 50 which will reduce up to 50% of draw weight.
- The crossbow package includes 6 strong carbon-tipped arrows.
- Venom features a Bowjax dampening kit which is installed to eliminate noise
- It is fast and powerful and displays impressive performance
- This model is not considered a budget-friendly option.
350 FPS Crossbow Range 2021
1. Barnett Avenger Recruit Crossbow (330 fps)
The design of the model will instantly indicate that this crossbow can be employed by all levels of shooters whether it’s a small framed young beginner or a professional archer who is giving it a shot. Its multi-user-friendly design will accommodate a wide variety of shooters since the total weight of the bow is kept minimum by constructing the stock from composite material.
The total weight of the crossbow suggests that no matter how proficient you become in the shooting but carrying a heavier weapon for a longer period of time will finish off your stamina game.
Key Features and Specs:
- Physical Weight: 6.4 pounds
- IBO Speed: 330 fps crossbow
- Draw Weight: 140 pounds
- Kinetic Energy: 91.9 ft-lbs.
- Frictionless release technology
- 3-pound zero creep trigger
- Nock sensor
- Anti-dry fire system
- The crossbow is equipped with an anti-vibration foot stirrup to eliminate noise and vibrations.
- The model is known for its versatility as it is lightweight, strikes with maximum velocity without any loss of energy.
- Its design model includes extra safety features to make it safer for beginner-level shooters.
- It comes with several add-ons such as a quiver, red dot scope, three bolts, a rope cocking device, and lube wax for the string.
- Some shooters are not satisfied with the quality of additional accessories.
2. Barnett Archery Raptor Crossbow Package (350 fps crossbow)
Raptor Pro STR is the best 350 fps crossbow for beginners. Raptor STR is designed in a stylish camo. It consists of a CCD port that allows the setup of a crank cocking device, an anti-dry fire system, an adjustable stock. The Raptor STR shoots at an express speed of 400 FPS with 187 lbs draw weight ensuring a power stroke of 12.5 and kinetic energy of 135 feet pound.
It has 16. 125″ axle to axle, 18 inches width and 34.25″ length and 6. 4 lbs. total weight. Raptor comprises a 4×32 scope, cocking rope device, and a lightweight quiver.
- Draw weight is manageable.
- Low draw weight.
- Well priced.
- Has the ability to fit a crank cocking device.
- Light in weight.
- Doesn’t come with a dampener.
- Need a cocking device because of being narrow.
- No suppression system.
- No warranty on Amazon.
3. Southland Archery Supply SAS Desert Hawk (350 fps)
SAS desert hawk is an exceptional 350 fps crossbow, having a sleek profile. It is equipped with a front-mounted quick detach quiver making it unique and ensuring fast reloading before the draw.
The draw weight is 185 pounds, 13.75″ power stroke, a 4×32 scope, and 34.5’’-37’’ in length. SAS Troy is installed with adjustable rear stock, adjustable forearm, rope stops, and a machined aluminum rail which makes it quiet and fairly vibration-free, and quad limbs designed for a smooth direct shot.
- At 6.8 pounds, it is a lightweight crossbow that can be hauled around without much hassle.
- Strong CNC Machined Aluminum Rail.
- Adjustable rear stock and forearm.
- Equipped with a decent 4×32 scope.
- Light and relatively narrow for fast-moving hunters
- Great starter bow.
- Not top-notch quality.
- No warranty on Amazon.
- Auto-safety trigger.
- Intense 185 pounds draw weight.
- Slightly heavier than similar bows.
4. Excalibur Micro Suppressor Crossbow (350 fps)
Micro by Excalibur has been considered the most versatile weapon in the crossbow world due to its enhanced durability by Gen II Recurve Limb technology and easy-to-maneuver execution in any type of background. The model comes with an improved design that supplements comfort, extra durability, and accuracy owing to its highly resilient aluminum body. When it comes to precision, Micro helps to achieve accurate shots at a distance of up to 40 yards.
The model is known for delivering absolutely silent shots. Micro’s most preeminent feature is its whirlwind speed as it shoots at an average IBO velocity of 355 feet per second. It is an intelligently engineered model that is compact and lightweight yet the design of the bow doesn’t lack top-quality material.
Key Features and Specs:
- IBO Speed: 350 fps crossbow
- Physical Weight: 5.6 pounds
- Noise Cancellation System: Standard Air Brakes and R.E.D.S string stops
- Guardian Anti-dry fire mechanism
- Durable Aluminum body
- Micro 340 is lightweight and durable due to its Aluminum body.
- It features a weather-resistant exterior which is highly maneuverable due to its compact design.
- Excalibur took the game to an advanced level in terms of speed as Micro shoots at 355 FPS knocking down any object that comes in the way.
- Its camouflage designed body provides an edge to be used in any background
- The Guardian anti-dry fire system prevents immature and unintentional shots.
- Micro 340 is equipped with multiple sound cancellation systems such as R.E.D.S limb saver dampeners and Anti-Brakes to produce muffled shots.
- The length of the limbs has been problematic for some shooters.
In the world of martial arts, many fighting styles claim speed defines the winner. In boxing, the heavy hitters usually dominate the lightweight fast punchers but the opposite also exists but is predominantly defined by powerful punches and the one that ends the knockout blow. In soccer, the defensive line is known to be more robust and powerful compared to the front line which mainly relies on the speed of the attacker.
Hence as a general observation, the user/hunter must get a good feel for the crossbow they are using. So practicing with a quick crossbow will require perseverance and patience.
The most powerful crossbow does produce more kinetic energy. Depending on the size of the animal you are hunting, you will want a crossbow that is powerful enough to deliver high kinetic energy, capable of penetrating through the vitals.
Some people may believe that the strength of the crossbow makes it heavy. Yes, it does, but if you will look up to the bigger perspective, you will know that it gives you more accuracy. An expert who can control the crossbow can shoot the target on its first shot and without any failed attempts. For sound you have solutions and there is no way that the target will be alarmed and go away.
The TenPoint Nitro XRT Crossbow is the most expensive crossbow available today. Highly recommended by professionals, the crossbow is sort after and will cost a cool $2,499.99. Fuel your need for speed this season with this bow. You will not be disappointed. Below are some features of the bow:
- 470 fps with 182 ft.-lbs. of energy
- RX7 cams deliver 404° of rotation
- Vector Quad 4 cable system
- Center-mounted riser design
- Advanced T5 trigger
Further, the best crossbow, procurable in the market is reviewed in detail in this article.
The crossbow technology keeps on evolving and more advanced state-of-the-art models keep launching in the market for professional shooters and for seasonal archers as well. Most professional shooters seek powerful weapons with enhanced accuracy.
Here we reviewed the most accurate crossbows innovated by leading archery paraphernalia manufacturers.
The list above is a recommended list of products but there are also plenty of other powerful and fast crossbows available on the market. It’s not necessarily the crossbow that downs the target unless it’s a nonhunting lifeless target. The quickest crossbows will always sound exciting as hunters choose the best for their games and technology improving all the time. The list above was more based on the reviews of experienced experts. The crossbow is the reason that can make your season thrilling so, don’t miss out on your chance in any case. We have also a recommended choice by the editor. Out of all the crossbows, this one has great reviews from the customers and hunters.
So many reviews point to the Excalibur Matrix Bulldog (400 fps) as being the preferred choice amongst seasoned hunters and are also our top recommendation. As per the use and reviews, this crossbow is offering some amazing features and accuracy good enough for experts. So, if you are looking to buy the fastest crossbow, with good power then do add this to your list and let the adventures begin. Ultimately, it is always about your requirements and choice of the product, but if you want to choose on the basis of comparison. The powerful crossbows are more appropriate for thrilling adventure and in that list, Excalibur Matrix Bulldog (400 fps) is the best choice for you.
Fastest Crossbows Q&A
How to choose a hunting crossbow?
Below is a list of considerations that will come into play when deciding which one will benefit.
a. The huntsman/women
Depending on individual strength one may choose to use heavier crossbows, which also fire heavier broadheads. So finding the correct weight crossbow is a learning process. Hunting can be an all-day activity that will result in tired arms and legs. Alternatively, it could be a small session for target practicing. In short, the activity type also is a determining factor.
b. The target – Moving vs Stationary
When shooting a crossbow it will most certainly require a solid standing foundation for success to start off with. If the target being aimed at is stationary your best chance of hitting the target is for you to be the same and have a solid platform to shoot from. This will require tracking and requires the hunter to follow the target through the aim sight until it moves just past the leading edge of that target. The trigger should be pulled at this point. So the speed of judgment also influences the speed. It may be an idea to aim somewhere in front of the target’s direct path and allow it until it is just about to intersect then firing. To achieve a high success rate from a stationary position or from a moving target a stable platform is required which affects the speed too.
Alternatively, if you shoot while on the move it will no longer be a steady platform and the aim becomes unstable which will again affect the speed of thought and the pulling of the trigger. So it becomes important to discover by trial and error, the sweet spot for your trigger release even before the crossbow speed itself. The moving target and moving hunter is a lot harder for one to track or lock. So all in all, prior to thinking of the speed of your crossbow think of the conditions and skill level.
The distance from the point of release to the target will vary when hunting as both hunter and target could be moving. As a general guide the longer the distance the faster the speed of the arrow should be unless it’s too far. This will vary due to the target moving from its original place so getting an arrow to hit quickly is best. The closer the target the more powerful the impact of the arrow the more likely you are downing the target.
d. Type of target
when hunting with a crossbow the target can consist of a variety of animals. Impala’s and springboks will perhaps require crossbows which are more tuned to be the fastest at delivering the arrow. Heavy weighty animals such as buffalo, warthog, or large deer will need a powerful crossbow with a heavy arrow to take down the animal.
If you are using crossbows as part of a competition then stationary targets are available in many varieties. Examples of this are 3d targets in the form of deer decoys, turkey decoys, and so on.
How to select between the powerful and fastest crossbows?
Before selecting the quickest crossbow, you need to be clear about your skill level, experience, and confidence levels. The fastest and powerful crossbows are not really suitable for beginners. However, if you think that you are an expert and can control these fast or powerful crossbows, the above list will guide you in making a decision.
Moreover, you have to accept the crossbows with the higher speed will also be more expensive to some extent and you may need to cater or adjust your budget plans accordingly. Some of the more powerful crossbows require extra accessories for sound suppression, otherwise, they can prove to be your best companion on the trip.
How fast are the powerful crossbows?
The fastest crossbows can go 470 frames per second and this velocity determines the speed and strength of the crossbow.
Back in times, people were good at taking a target down with a traditional or hand-made crossbow. But times have changed for good, the higher the speed of your crossbow, will be heavy and powerful too. But it might have a heavy draw weight and physical weight too.
Is there a problem with powerful crossbows?
With such high power, you may need sound suppressors too. As it is quite inevitable for the equipment to create a sound when shooting and it will be heard by everyone including the target. So, you will have to use the extra equipment to reduce the sound which can alarm your target.
For whom these crossbows are a good choice?
Remember, that the crossbows with more power and the fastest speed are also heavier in weight. So, if you have one, you will have to control and balance it too. They offer you accuracy and speed in your hunting games. So, be careful while you are choosing the crossbow for your hobby as it is not for beginners or inexperienced hunters. You must have some experience of the target/animal and where/how you need to target it.
Overall, the crossbows have different sizes, speed and when you are selecting one, you will have to be really careful about it. If it is terrific to have the best crossbow by your side while going on the hunting trail, let us help you with a list of the fastest crossbows available for the hunting season this year and every coming year. The above list will help you choose the one that suits your expertise and budget both. So, happy hunting!!
How fast can you reload a crossbow?
The Cobra RX adder is the latest innovation for the fastest reloading crossbow. Below are the main features of this new rapid fastest reloading crossbows:
- It has AR15 style adjustable stock
- Draw all 5 strokes in less than 30 seconds
- rapid reloading and noise-suppressing fire
- Non-removable top load magazine
- Holds up to 5 Ek carbon bolts at a time
- The specialized mechanism stops cocking with an empty magazine.
- 270 FPS (Feet per seconds)
- Slick design
- Great for tactical and survival missions
How far can you shoot a deer with a crossbow?
One of the longest shots ever recorded by a crossbow is by the Ravin 15 crossbow on an empty range. The shot measured just under 690 yards. However, this shot was merely to shoot the farthest and not to target a deer or any other animal. The test was designed for accuracy and distance and not for the purpose of bringing down a hunt.
For the purpose of hunting, deer, and elk, in particular, a distance of more than 150 yards (less if possible) is recommended between the huntsman and the deer. The features below, at a range of approximately 100 yards from your deer shot, are perfect to shoot the deer.
- Kinetic energy – 160 ft. Lbs.
- Speed – 425 feet per second.
- Power stroke – 13 inches.
- Draw force – 12 lbs.
- Width axle-axle – 6 inch Cocked, 10.5 un-cocked.
Back in 2010/11, Scorpyd introduced the powerful crossbow on planet earth. It also claimed to be firing arrows at approx 400 FPS but this was later disputed. Currently, the TEN POINT Nitro X is considered one of the fastest crossbows around check out the specifications:
- Velocity: 440 fps
- Kinetic Energy: 159 ft/lb
- Length: 30.76″
- Width at Rest: 12.5″
- Width at Draw: 7″
- Mass Weight: 7.4 lb
700 fps crossbow?
Not just yet. Not even close. We are still a few years from having a crossbow that can fire at this speed. If we consider how far we were around 10 years ago and the speed of new precision technology, in 5 to 10 years we may well find ourselves firing at 700 FPS although this will not be easy to achieve. The current fastest crossbows speed is approximately 470 FPS. The speed of the arrow has an impact because of variable factors such as wind resistance, air density, and so on.
Ironically the powerful crossbow is the one with the fastest speed however, the weight and accuracy may differ and you will have to watch out that selecting it doest affect your overall experience. The fastest crossbow comes with remarkable speed, extended range, and increased power. However, take into consideration that sound may be a painful problem and with these crossbows, you may face the difficulty of not taking out your target in the first instance. These faster crossbows may not be the most ideal choice for beginners or less experienced individuals.
Moreover, the crossbow with power and speed is best for experts and should not be handed over to beginners at the starting of their game mainly for safety concerns. They need to be trained for basic skills before using heavy or advanced crossbows.